Sony has officially confirmed that they are going to bring out a new, slimmer version of the PlayStation 3.
The new version has a Matte Black finish, comes with 120GB storage and consumes less power that it’s predecessor. While it’s size has shrunk, the PS3 Slim won’t support OS install but that shouldn’t be a problem for most people. Apart from that, other features are the same found in the previous model.
Another major thing is that Sony has reduced the price on the console to a much more desirable $299. Starting today, the current 80GB PS3 will also retail for $299.
The new 3.0 firmware will also be released concurrently with the PS3 slim, providing a breath of fresh air for existing machines.
* Product name: PlayStation 3
* Product code: CECH-2000A (Charcoal Black)
* CPU: Cell Broadband Engine™
* GPU: RSX
* Audio output: LPCM 7.1ch, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS, DTS-HD, AAC.
* Memory: 256MB XDR Main RAM, 256MB GDDR3 VRAM
* Hard disk: 120GB 2.5″ Serial ATA
* USB 2.0 ports: 2
* Networking: Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T), IEEE 802.11 b/g, Bluetooth 2.0 (+EDR)
* Controller: Wireless Controller (Bluetooth) x 1
* AV outputs: HDMI x 1, AV MULTI OUT x 1, Digital out (optical) x 1
* Resolutions: 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p, 480i (for PAL 576p, 576i)
* BD / DVD / CD drive (read only): BD × 2 (BD-ROM), DVD × 8 (DVD-ROM), CD × 24 (CD-ROM)
* Power: AC 220 – 240, 50/60Hz
* Power consumption: Approx. 250W
* External dimensions (excluding maximum projecting part): Approx. 290 × 65 × 290 mm (width × height × length)
* Mass: Approx. 3.2kg
* Included in box: PlayStation 3 system × 1, Wireless Controller (DUALSHOCK 3) × 1, AC power cord × 1, AV cable × 1, USB cable × 1
The new PS3 Slim will be out in the first week of September (September 1 in North America and Europe, September 3 for Japan).